Monday Morning Moments 02 – Dungeon Story Hooks
Have some free story hooks from us at The Grinning Frog.
It’s always handy to have a few of these lying around in the back of your DM notes. That way you can throw in a tantalising side trip for the players or simply enrich the world in which they are moving through. After all, their adventure is not the only one happening!
In whatever way you use them we trust they will enhance your game!
You can download a pdf of the storyhooks by clicking here: Monday Morning Moments 002 – Dungeon Story Hooks
- A deadly new dungeon has been identified recently. It was found by a shepherd girl who stumbled into it looking for some missing goats. Since its discovery five parties have entered but no one has yet emerged. Some local scholars say it is the fabled Dungeon of Naz’gar – a secretive wizard who lived several hundred years ago.
- There is a magical statue in a nearby dungeon that has so far resisted all attempts to understand. It is believed that by performing the right action the statue will animate it and in doing so the secret exit from the room it is contained within will be revealed. The statue is of a warrior woman holding aloft a sword. Her left arm reaches out to the side and her hand is open but empty.
- A coven of witches has been discovered to operate out of a local underground series of caverns. The local authorities are keen to find their exact location, so they can be dealt with.
- The rumours are that a new dungeon complex is being built by order of a mysterious undead crime boss. The construction is rumoured to be extending out from one of the cities catacombs. So far, people have not been able to locate which one.
- Swarms of vicious giant beetles and other insect life forms have been coming out of the old tunnels under the town and attacking people. They were known to live down there on the scraps and offal that went into the sewers and they have never come up above ground before. The locals are terrified. The attacks take place mostly after sunset.
- A group of adventurers went underground to locate a fabled golden egg said to be located deep in a dungeon complex. They haven’t been heard of since. They left a month ago. Their sponsors are willing to pay for a team to investigate their disappearance and ideally return with the egg.
- A single surviving member of a recent adventure party made it out of an old dungeon complex. He has babbling about giant killer mushrooms and mushroom people just before he died. After death, his body sprouted red pustules which looked like they were going to burst. The body was incinerated by a wizard who happened to be in the vicinity.
- Several young children have been kidnapped and taken into an old mining complex. It is thought that a group of troglodytes led by a mountain giant are behind this.
- Inside a nearby cavern complex a detailed model of the local mountains and plains has been discovered. Various stories are now being told about this model – that it can show the way to hidden treasure, that it can predict natural catastrophes or that it can show the movements and locations of monsters and evil creatures. Oddly, no one who reports seeing the model can exactly pin point where they found it in the complex.
- A local castle has collapsed into the ground. It appears that something big has been tunnelling underneath the building causing it to collapse. The local lords want this thing tracked and killed. No one is saying it out loud but the idea that the creature might be under the control of someone is terrifying the lords.